As we approach the Holiday shopping season and a brand new year – we would like to remind everyone to support local businesses. Shop local. Eat local. Buy local.
Why Shop Locally?
- You strengthen our Local Economy - Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future. They also invest their earnings back in to the community they live in.
- You experience great customer service from your neighbors - Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and take more time to get to know customers.
- You are keeping our community unique – One of a kind businesses are an integral part of Rhinelander’s character. Visitors and residents alike seek out areas with a wide variety of unique shopping.
- You are helping to give back to your community – Small businesses donate more than twice as much per sales dollar to local non-profits, events and team compared to big businesses.1
Holiday Shopping Ideas
There are so many unique stores in Rhinelander that are bound to have the perfect gift. Need an idea of where to get started? Visit here for a list of our local retailers.
Great holiday gifts don’t always have to be “stuff”. Here are some great non-material and more experience based gift ideas:
- Tickets to a local theater or concert event
- An online subscription to the recipient’s favorite local newspaper or publication
- A close-to-home getaway at a local lodger
- Make a donation in the recipient’s name to their favorite non-profit organization
1. In a study for the Small Business Administration, Business Contributions to Community Service (1991), Dr. Patricia Frishkoff of Oregon State University analyzed charitable giving by firm size. She found companies with fewer than 100 employees gave an average of $789 per employee in cash and in-kind donations, compared to $334 per employee at firms with more than 500 employees.